Forum home Talkback

viburnum bodnantense

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi all, I planted a small viburnum bonantense dawn in my front garden, will it get too big and starve all around it? wondering whether to put it in a large pot or keep it in the bed, it isn't flowering and I presime that's as it's too young (around 2 years old ) it looks very healthy

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

Its fine in a border. if it sends up a sucker a few feet away from the original, slice it off with a spade, pot it up and give it to a friend.  Mine occupies a metre square after 20 years.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

great thanks fidget

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,796

I've got one in a border - near a corner and where I can see it through the window when I'm sitting here on the sofa - it cheers me up in the winter.   It's not very big at the moment - if it gets bigger as it gets older I'll just make the lawn smaller image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

mine sends up occasional suckers. Mum has one about 10 years old that is kept at about 45cm across at the base. It gets fairly hard pruned each year and always flowers. Mine scents half the garden at the moment, or it would if it stopped raining.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,391

I find these to be very well behaved plants. They can grow nice and tall if you want them to (I inherited one at 3m plus - I just cut it hard back & it's fine now) or you can keep them at about 1.5m if you prune them each year. They are easily kept in a tidy shape by removing any suckers or wayward branches.

I planted some in my woodland border about 2 years ago. This is the first year they have been smothered in flowers and (with the winter honeysuckle) the scent by the front gate is absolutely wonderful. Isn't it nice when a plan comes together? image  

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,391

Jo....image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down