Your eight 'Desert Island Discs' plants

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,992

Like the Desert Island Discs programme - but with plants image

Which eight plants would you choose for your Paradise Island - all things being equal - take it as read that you have perfect growing conditions - and they don't have to be practical edible plants either, unless you want them to be.

And as with the radio programme, you can choose one book to take with you too...

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,992

Yes, I'm pondering .......... I may be some time ........ it's all very well coming up with the idea for the thread, but ......... image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,067

I will start with: Lupins, Delphiniums, Dahlias and Cannas. Picking only four more may prove too difficult.

Great thread Dove.

There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,067

Can't have grasses Verdun, too many species. Cheating as usual!

There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.
  • Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

Sorry Doc but i'm with Verdun i would take Briza maxima, as too the other seven mmmmm could take a while

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,675

Bananas, apricots, pineapples, peaches, passion fruit, plums, raspberries and strawberries.

And any book on how to make a hammock.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Verdun, donut deliciosa sounds good, can I have a cutting?imageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,384

I'm assuming there are coconuts already, to hang the hammock on. I wouldn't have any grasses for the snakes to hide in. Other than pansyfaces list, I would add in papaya and breadfruit, and even the much maligned durian fruit. It's ok in the fresh air.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.