Ideas for a walled garden

Good evening, Earlier this month a friend helped me to sort out their garden, so I made an itinerary of what plants they've got and I've made a scaled drawing of their garden with the mapped and I.D plants. Now I'm at the stage where we need to think about how to redesign the garden. It needs a hard prune and a complete rethink. It's about 20m long and 5m wide. It's a 17th century walled garden and they want it to be productive with fruits herbs a bit of veg and some nice cottage style flowers. So, I'm here asking two main questions but any other comment are welcome. - how to best take advantage of a walled garden - shape ideas for a lawn and path which would best suit that shape plot.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 325

I would grow espalier fruit trees against the walls if they have the right aspect. Look at books about Victorian walled gardens for ideas.

Sounds like a long thin garden. If so you may want to break this up or do something that will give the illusion of being wider. I'm sure there are many others out there who will give you some definite ideas on how to do this.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,541

Which way does it face and how high are the walls - the amount of sunlight available for plants will depend on this.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Morning,

South facing, and the walls are around 6ft
  • Thanks for all your help image. I can't post a pic until I get home later on. They already have 3, 4 year old fruit trees but they're in a terrible location. How well will they take to being moved and pruned so they can be cordon'd? Wire to help train them?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,925

Fully agreed with previous posts, athough not sure I would have a lawn in that small a space.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • Thanks for all your input. They have a kid so want a small patch of grass for playing. I was thinking of suggesting a lawn path with a wider part. The concern with that is that it'll get worn quickly, so maybe a pea shingle path leading toa small circular lawn?