Broadleaf weeds

My daughter has just moved into a ground floor flat with an established rear lawn of very many years.  However, it is full of a variety of broadleaf weeds. The grass that is showing looks to be of good quality.

Lawn size approx 40 feet x 20 feet

We don't want to dig it all up due to the work involved.  Would it be best to try and treat it with a lawn weed killer or kill everything with something like roundup, glysophate weed killer and start again?

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 325

If there is more weeds than grass I would dig it up and start again. If not, I would not use weed killer at this time of year but wait until spring. Be careful if using glysophate. There is an article in Nov issue of GW mag about possible dangers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

I'd just mow to make it green and flatimage

• Thank you all for the speedy replies.

Verdun, I will give your suggestion a try commencing in the spring.

Thank you also for the comments on the use of glysophate, I will look at the article in November's GW mag.

Kind regards

Bonsai2

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959

The weed and feed products are the way to go, coupled with regular mowing, as Verdun suggests. If it's bad, you may need a few applications, but you'll be surprised how quickly you can recover a lawn and have it looking good. I had the same issue here a couple of years ago and the grass is now in good nick  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Fairygirl, I will go ahead with your and Verdun's suggestions.

• I would scarify, aerate prong it and brush some sharp sand over it now to help with drainage and any moss control over the winter and then weed and feed it in the spring and make sure you bin the first three mowing's after feed and feed as they have weed killer on them - do not compost or put out for green waste collection

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959

That's a good point re the mowings treehugger.  image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Treehugger, will ado the list and taken note of the mowings.