I think my garden has blown away !!!

Shocking weather here, I'm itching to tidy the garden but afraid a tree might blow over. Wouldn't it be nice if the wind blew all the leaves into a nice pile in the corner ... hmmm image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

The wind blows all my leaves to one place Laura, the pond

• My parents had similar problem with the pond, but now they put a net over it, also to stop the herons too 

It would have to be a big net

More than I could handle.

Never sure about keeping the herons out, they're wildlife as well, but they've seriously reduced the newt populationimage

• I have a pet newt, His name is tiny, because he is my newt! hehe 

The old jokes are the best jokesimage

• Horrendously windy here too.......constant but with tremendous gusts.......I'm getting really fed up with it.

Some leaves in neat piles........the rest are in the pond.  The huge twisted willow is the culprit at the moment.......multi branched and about 16 mts high, it is just in the right place to catch all the windimage

Agree about the Herons Nutcutlet........they come into the village regularly once they get bored with estuary fishing ( elvers mostly I think).......everyone has to eat and I suppose we entice them with nice fat fish in  many gardens .  The newts seem to be coping well enough here ........just hope I haven't put a jinx on things now by mentioning itimage 

I hope you haven't Philippa. We had newts and occasional heron for years but this year the heron was a regular visitor

• Mmmm......I'm just wondering about our Crested Newt population in the next village.  There has been a bypass constructed recently ( well, still ongoing actually) to take heavy traffic to Hinckley Point during the construction of the new nuclear plant.

They have constructed a new habitat for the newts but it seems far more open and accessible for the winged jobs.  A matter of waiting and seeing I suppose.

GCNs have low priority compared to big business Philippa.

Local gravel extraction may result in our water table being lowered. This could result in no ponds for us and neighbours. Surveys were done and GCNs were noted but permission was given for the gravel extraction