Forum home The potting shed

Phytosanitary certificate

Has anyone ever had to apply for a phytosanitary certificate? Is it hard to get one, how long does it take and how much does it cost? I want to take my tree fern with me when I move to another country next year and one of these certificates is required. 


  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 134
    Haha, you have a point, but unfortunately I'm not moving anywhere as exotic as 'down under'.... And sad as I am, I love my tree fern!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,211

    As I said in your other post on this subject, I had to apply to DEFRA as it then was for a health certificate.   A woman came along, inspected the plants, gave me the certificate and warned me I couldn't take pelargoniums or cucumbers with me - not that I'd planned to.

    You juts contact the appropriate department and make an appointment.  They'll tell you how much it costs.

    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 134
    Obelixx, thank you so much for your info, that was actually very helpful. Seems it's not such a nightmare to get hold of after all ????
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

    will your tree fern survive the Norwegian Winter?

  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 134
    Thatsva very good question Hostafan1..... To be honest I have no idea, was thinking of planting it in a large pot and bring it indoors during t coldest months.
  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 134
    Where I will live in Norway is not so cold as other more northern parts. We don't even get snow sometimes. I'm probably mad for bringing it with me but it was a present from my other half, it means a lot me. Otherwise I probably would've just left it in the garden.
Sign In or Register to comment.