Forum home Wildlife gardening

Small is beautiful and can offer life to many creatures

I wanted to share my Pinterest project so that if you have a garden that started out like ours when we bought the house, you'll be encouraged with what you can contribute to the wildlife whilst still retaining the magical respite for the family.

https://uk.pinterest.com/angela2116/snow-queen-lodge-garden-project/

• M FentM Fent Posts: 166
    Is artificial grass really that wildlife friendly? Even if it doesn't impact wildlife on day to day basis, the fact its made of plastic (correct me if I'm wrong) has a negative impact on the environment.

However I do love the mixed hedge you have planted which will be bustling with birds and insects.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,236

Afraid that link doesn't take me anywhere image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,061

Lucky you managed to rescue that little frog. It would have drowned in the watering can.....

On the other hand, why hoick out the damselflies? Aren't damsel flies supposed to be in water?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The pond does have a long shallow shelf, bottom right as you look towards the cabin. It ends at the same level as the grass, but blended in with slate. The slate has also been secured with pond glue so hopefully won't slip away if something needs to crawl out. The rest of the pond has stepped shelves that are not very high.

The damselflies had fallen into the pond as they came out of their larval stage as it was a particularly windy day and they'd been blow off the mace reeds. As adults they don't live in the water.

The frog was rather insistent on living in the watering can and kept going back! So we now leave the can empty and lie it on its side.

The artificial grass was chosen because real grass would not have grown in the shadow of the cabin and there's no maintenance or mess when cut around the pond. It doesn't require watering or fertilising. It is classified as 'pet friendly' but sadly as eco-friendly as the concrete my cabin and house are built upon.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,054

Me too - requires too much effort Pauline image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,367
    Pauline 7 wrote (see)
    Dovefromabove wrote

Afraid that link doesn't take me anywhere image

Me neither....... I can see the first bit....then it wants me to continue with fb which i don't have or sign up to pinterest.... which i know nothing about.

same here

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I was able to open the link just fine: but then I was already logged into Pintrest. I think (like most things) it wants you to have an account before you go too much further.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,236

And as I understand it Pintrest then encourages you to spread it about other social media sites in order to get more people signing up ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have created a Powerpoint presentation with all the photos and information on Pinterest for those who don't have a Pinterest account. Download it from Dropbox and use the F5 key to run the presentation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wdq8ys18i0mthw/Snow%20Queen%20Lodge%20Garden%20Project.pptx?dl=0

For those who don't wish to download, the photos are available on Dropbox to view in your browser here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/854d5kkyu48q9cw/AADCtLSGuLyNbLuWbqm4lSPga?dl=0 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,061

One of my posts on this thread has disappeared.image

I don't believe that I said anything untoward, only that I had tried the link and been told that I couldn't see anything until I had joined up to Facebook.

Has anybody else had an innocuous post just disappear?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.