Forum home Talkback

My Narcissus toto and sailboat

These are already beginning to shoot in my greenhouse cum outhouse.  I think they were too warm inside in mid November when I planted them.  Now it has got colder I'm hoping they will go to sleep till Feb or should I put them outside and fleece them round as they are only in plastic pots? Also should I keep watering them well or keep them on the dry side?

I have many bulbs planted in the garden and generally speaking they have not appeared yet.  I'm a bit of a novice!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,122

I've never done this so it's just my thoughts

I'd put them outside and leave them there til much closer to the event. Early April must be about natural time for flowering and you can speed them up by warming them up later. If you get them too far ahead they'll flower too early

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hello, Liz, and welcome image

They're completely hardy - after all they naturally spend their whole lives outside - so they don't need protection.

However, if they've been living a life of luxury in the greenhouse, thrusting them into the unforgiving outside world at this time of year might give them a nasty shock which could do them in.  I think I'd leave them where they are and enjoy them early, especially since you have a lot more outside which will appear at more or less the usual time.

Bulbs generally like decent drainage, so I wouldn't over-water, but if/when they're in active growth they'll certainly need a little water - but don't let them get soggy or they'll rot.

Lots of plants have got confused by our weird weather this year.