Moving abroad

kasjkkasjk Posts: 99

I'm moving back to Scandinavia in the summer and will want to take my tree fern with me. I'll be driving, so it'll be stored in the van for a few days. Does anyone know the best way of transporting it? 

Should I literally cut it off at the base and remove the fronds or should I try to keep as much of the root system as possible? Should I wrap it in anything, for example horticultural fleece?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

Are there any restrictions on importing soil into Sweden?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 99

It's actually Norway image I had a look and you're allowed to bring 5 houseplants with you without any problems and I've asked about the tree fern, doesn't seem to be an issue, but you never know.... 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,156

Sorry, the S of Scandinavia made me type Sweden.image

I think that the houseplants are possibly assumed to be growing in some sort of compost rather than garden soil. Less chance of importing pernicious wildlife.

I don't know what you should do for the best with tree ferns. I imagine that in the wild they are burnt to cinders from time to time. Maybe their root systems are more important to them than their leaves.

Edit: I have just seen this website.

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/treeferncare

These people are very good. I've been to their nursery.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,337

You really need to check with the Norwegian authorities or else the British department of agriculture and environment.

When we moved from Harrow to Belgium 24 years ago, we had to get a certificate from what was then DEFRA for plants I wa staking with me - big acer in a pot, English blackcurrants and raspberries in pots and so on.  They had to be certified healthy and I wasn't allowed any pelargoniums in case they carried a virus.

Since the single market these restrictions have lifted but Norway is not a member of the EU so you should definitely check first.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • remember with tree ferns the roots are actually the trunk, so you could theoretically cut it off at ground level and transport it like that.

The only problem being you would loose maybe 1 foot of height when you sink in back into the ground to stop it falling over?

I suppose you could dig it up and wash the base of the trunk off as well.