Ideas....

My grandad is 86 and is, I'm quite proud to say, still the best gardener that I know image! Now its coming up to Christmas, I was thinking about getting him something useful. I was thinking of either a a gardening gadget that is different but still useful, or something that is of really good quality. I have attempted to google it but haven't found anything so far. Does anybody have any ideas?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Subscription to GW magazine?   Or maybe he knows so much that he doesn't need it?

The best tool I know is the Wolf double-edged hoe, which is absolutely brilliant.   Comes in two widths.  Handle (as with all their tools) is separate.

http://www.garden-goodies.co.uk/acatalog/Wolf_Multi_Change_Tools_RFM15.html?gclid=CLnj79GbrskCFSQYwwod1vYJBQ

• Denno666Denno666 Posts: 107

Oooh, haven't seen that website beforeimage! Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen my grandad reading anything garden related

• 86 well done to your dad and congratulations from me, if I was 86 I'd like a greenhouse or potting shed to potter about in, in fact I'm nearly 62 and I'd like one to potter about in too can't beat a good old potter about!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,548

How about an audio book? I love them because I'm too lazy to read much these days.

http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Non-fiction/The-Drunken-Botanist-Audiobook/B00CA4PAM2?source_code=M2M30DFT1BkSH01221500ON

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • If he is 86 and a gardener I imagine he will turn up his nose at most of the "gadgets" available now.......he probably has  a better idea what works than most of usimage

A difficult problem.  I don't envy you trying to find something suitable.

Pansy's suggestion may hit the markimage

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,156

All good idea's but why not ask him.

Let's face it we ask children by getting them to write out a Christmas list and at 86 he's probably had lots of Christmas's when family and friends have bought really nice things they thought he would like but not necessarily what he wants or needs.

If he wants something for the garden you can also get it engraved with his name as a suprise or get him an extra gift as a token suprise.

I like that idea Verdun, that's something to think on ????. Not sure about the audio book though, his hearing is going but he refuses to have his hearing aid in, lol, just like how he refuses to have his false teeth in - hence when they come over for tea we have grandad friendly food ????. My grandad says he doesn't read books any more because he's read them all - love it!
    Lol, the question marks were smiley faces
  • How about finding out what was making news re gardening in the Newspapers the day he was born 86 years ago, buying the page and framing it?