Forum home The potting shed

Removing Topsoil

I could not work out if this is against forum rules or not, sorry if it is...

We have about 1.5 tonnes of topsoil we have recently removed from out newbuild garden to make way for more patio space and a shed and now have it sat in a carport.

Anyone here want any? (we are in bucks)

or have any other ideas of how to get rid of it cheaply. Our neighbours have decided to get stroppy about it

• Could have done with it a while back Rainbowfish, but we live in Wales anyway.  Have you phoned the local council to see what they can do to help, or how about gardeners/landscapers in your area.  I'm sure somebody would be grateful for it, probably just a question of advertising.  As to the neighbours - they can't be any worse than mine.  When my beautiful magnolia loses it's flowers in the spring, if the wind dares to take any petals into my neighbour's garden, he throws them back over the hedge.  Apparently he can't stand the 'messy' things - sad -  I think he's just jealous.

Rise above the stroppy neighbours, and good luck with your new garden.

• They apparently own the freehold to our leasehold carport and don't want the topsoil there and have given us 7 days before 'they take action'

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Have you tried your local freecycle group?

• Oh God!  What on earth is the matter with people.  You really don't want to get into any of that do you.  I suppose it's like a boundary wall between two properties being the responsibility of just one - oh to live on top of a mountain.  

I'm not sure that your neighbour can issue deadlines and ultimatums like that, and what's wrong with a friendly chat about it. But at the end of the day you want to get rid of the topsoil as cheaply as possible.  I would certainly try phoning the local council and even if they can't help, they might have some advice for you.  You can always tell your neighbour that you're on the case, to keep them at bay for a while.

I hope someone comes along who can post some helpful advice.

• I recently moved about a meter ton of soil that was made up a old turf mound that had broken down in to loam soil over the last few years . This was required to allow an area of my garden to be clear for a for a new shed. Depending on the size of your garden, I was able to redistribute it over my boarders, particularly under a few mature trees and shrubs. Once the soil had settled down, I racked in to reduce any peaks. Good top soil  is invaluable so that why I did this. It was all done by shovel and wheelbarrow and hard graft, took a week end to complete but very satisfying to resolve a problem 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

I'd have said the same gfSteve, as 1.5 tons isn't actually that much once you start shovelling, but the OP has a new build garden so there may not be any borders etc to put the soil in. image

The freecycle thing might be worth trying, or even gumtree as it's your local area. Even an advert in a local shops if that's possible. image

Hope you have some success. Neighbours can be a pain at times.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,543

If it's got to go quickly, what about seeing if any local allotment holders need any topsoil for new raised beds etc.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We have already build a raised be and tried to distribute the rest. It is only a small garden, this is what we have left.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,543

Put a notice by your gateway

FREE GOOD QUALITY TOPSOIL 

BRING YOUR OWN WHEELBARROW AND SHOVEL

It'll probably all go over the weekend when the gardeners are about image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh