population explosion of voles - help

Like lemmings, they seem to go through periods of boom and bust. I imagine that if you just wait and see they will eventually return to a smaller population. If it gets cold they will have to go further to look for dwindling supplies of food and will eventually provide lunch for hungry birds of prey.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

You've probably got mine Tetley, we've had the population explosion, less now. 

Mowing some areas is like riding a bucking horse. The holes get bigger all the time from use by various beasties plus some erosion

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,164

Winter food for barn owls and kestrels - once they find out that they're there image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Tetley: the voles are not taking over and you are in no danger of falling down a sink hole!!  As has been said, vole numbers fluctuate year to year.  A good vole year means that Kestrels and Barn Owls do well in terms of breeding success which can boost the population of these species for several years to come.  A year with few voles, particularly if coupled with poor weather, is bad news for breeding Kestrels and Barn Owls. Best advise is do nothing to discourage the voles and enjoy the hunting Kestrels  and Barn Owls if you are lucky to live in an area which supports them.