Forum home Wildlife gardening

Recommend a good bird food?

In my garden I get blue tits, great tits, a Robbin and dunnock or wrens ( I get them mixed up) now and again I spot gold finches in the garden along with coal tits, any ideas on good brand a an inclusive mix that all these birds would like? - thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,246

The tits and goldfinches in our garden love sunflower hearts - whereas the robins, dunnocks and wrens go for a mix designed specifically for insectivorous birds who have finer bills, so I have two separate feeders.

I find the ones made by Gardman, RSPB and Notcutts to be equally acceptable to the birds in our garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I would go to the RSPB online shop. They should be good (nutritionally)for the birds and all of the foods list what specieas they are good for.

I think finches and tits will both eat seedy foods.

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-food.html

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I'd go for sunflower hearts.  Robins will eat them if scattered on the ground (but then so will pigeons.)  RSPB prices are way high.  I find the best deal at Gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk or Amazon UK via subscribe and save. But tits, finches and sparrows love them from the feeders and everything else love them from the ground. Except starlings, who don't seem much into them.  But that might be a good thing.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,056

I combine a good quality no mess robin/finch/tit mix with extra sunflower hearts for feeders and the table. Usually Chapelwood  ( from the garden centre) or even the one stocked by Asda, which has been great. I also use suet treats and mealworms scattered among the border with some of the mix, which the blackies like, and it encourages them to forage about in there. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,671

After trying many, many types over the years, I've settled on Johnston and Jeff's "Premium Wild Bird Food Wheat-free with Suet" which everything seems to like and is also husk-free so absolutely no mess.  There is nothing at all left when the feeders are empty and I mean nothing! image

Contents from the label: PREMIUM WILD BIRD FOOD A high energy husk-free mix with no wheat, enhanced with suet pellets. Canary Seed, Natural Groats, Milo, Millet, Wild Seeds, Suet Pellets, Sunflower Hearts, Sorghum, Rapeseed, Peanut Nibs, Aniseed.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I use sunflower hearts which attract sparrows, robins, greenfinch, tits, goldfinch and tree creeper, with dunnocks cleaning up anything spilt on the patio. I buy them from eBay branded as Croston Corn Mill Ltd £24.95 for 20kg sack. These are the best I've found, others often have a powdery residue that clogs up the feeders. I used to buy RSPB sunflower hearts from a local RSPB bird sanctuary, but they are expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230913605734?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQyNVgxNDI1/z/NOMAAOxyyq5TM~qb/$_57.JPG

LF - my sister gets hers from there, but you can get them direct from the maker even cheaper. £22.95 for 20 kg  image

• Fairygirl, I didn't realise that, thanks.

jo47, no I haven't tried their peanuts. In fact Ive had little success with peanuts, they are usually left untouched.

Sheer coincidence LF. We were talking about bird food a few days ago and she sent me an email  image

• Well their sunflower hearts are very clean. Other brands I've tried have lots of dust in the bag which you don't notice until you get near the bottom of the bag.