Goji Berries

I was given some goji berry seedlings earlier this year. They are in small pots in my conservatory. Do they lose their leaves in winter or is it just the red spedermite infestation that has caused this?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,155

There is some information here about growing them. Good luck.

http://www.fruitexpert.co.uk/growinggojiberries.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 325

Thanks for that, pansyface. I'll have good read.

Just read this info on goji berries. It looks like they could be attractive bushes with berries as a bonus. I will have to try and rescue my plants.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Apparently you should nor pamper them. they need maximum sun and poor soil to produce fruit. Mine was in ordinary garden soil and produced nothing but long floppy growths before I evicted it as useless.

• I had great success with my Goji Berries which I grew on my allotment.They do have long arching stems but you can prune them back quite hard to keep them under control.I had loads of berries,far too many really but unfortunately no one in the family like the taste so I chopped it right back to the ground in the hope that it would die off.The roots were so strong that I couldn't dig it up.Nothing reappeared for a while then I noticed new shoots coming up again so I have just been pulling them off when I see them.I will be having another go at digging it up this year,all the wet weather may help.

Sounds like I might be storing up problems for the future.image I don't think I'll keep all the seedlings I was given.image I've just re-potted the biggest one, now showing signs of life.

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 NottinghamPosts: 295

I've had a similar experience to Invicta2 so far, although I've not given up yet.

Mine is still in a very large tub, and I've moved it to a sunnier position for this season to see if that will lead to more berries.

The consensus from what I've read is that Gojis like a higher pH, more neutral or slightly alkaline, compared to most plants. Might benefit from added lime, or just remembering to water with tap water, not rain water, might help.