Forum home Problem solving

Manure

Does anyone have any advice on when you should apply manure in your vegetable plot?

Should you use horse manure or brought manure from garden centres?

Many thanks

• Is it ok to apply aged manure to rose beds now?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,552

I have covered my veg plot with horse manure which I rotovate in in the spring. I have horses so I have a lot of manure, but it's full of hay and weed seeds so means a lot of weeding. The plot was thick clay 20 years ago and now it's heaps easier to work with.

If manure is well rotted you can put it on roses before winter or in Spring. I feed my roses in Spring with rose fertiliser as well and again after flowering.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Find your nearest stables, Daffodil Girl, and ask if you can turn up with a trailer.  They'll be only too glad to get rid of the stuff.   Avoid the stuff mixed with wood shavings if possible, unless it's very well rotted, as it takes ages to break down.   Straw is much better.

The stuff from garden centres is just the same, probably drier, and ideally fully rotted.  You will pay through the nose for it.

Busy-Lizzie... did you know that rotovating will chop up the worms, which would otherwise dig in all the muck for you?  Bet your soil is wonderful now - improved clay is usuallu excellent.

I seem to have quite a lot of worms, especially when the weather is wet, but the rotovator is much better at getting the muck in and the tilth fine. I know some people on this forum are against them, but I have a very big garden and need all the help I can get.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Fairy nuff then image  You know your soil!

•  Thanks guys. I was concerned if I apply now, the goodness would be washed away come spring and planting time.

• I have just dug over my veggie patch and spread some cow manure over the top, MOH says we should cover it for a few weeks to stop weeds coming through I'm so sure?? Help Its my first big veggie year!!

imageWhen do you want to start sowing seeds? Because the season is starting. Covering completely now and not sowing will mean you've almost missed the boat!

Is the manure well rotted? I use it as a mulch in the flower beds, but in the veg garden I rotavate the manure in, having left it on top over winter, because I feel it's a bit rich to sow into. I also use permeable woven fabric to keep down the weeds, I cut holes or strips in it, depending what I'm sowing or planting. Others are against weed surpressant fabrics and wouldn't use them, but if it lets the rain in it works fine for me. What you shouldn't use is black plastic sheeting that doesn't let anything through. But that can be used in autumn over winter to keep weeds down if you dig and manure in spring.

Dordogne and Norfolk