Forum home Plants

Salvia

I have several salvia's in the garden which are flowering really well should I dig them up over the winter or cut back and mulch over the top, I live near Bristol.

Thanks 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

What sort of salvias are they cp?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Can I interlope here please? image

My daughter Wonky Womble has the most gorgeous salvia Wendy's Wish blooming away beautifully at the foot of a south facing brick wall in her town centre garden in Suffolk.

Does anyone know this salvia - is it likely to survive the winter where it is?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

My wendys wish now looks poorly after the frost, worse than Amistad.  I'm going to cut them down, dig them up and put them in the greenhouse for the winter.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,259

I had Wendy's Wish last year, loved it, preferred it to Amistad, neater habit. But I lost it in the winter image Wish I had taken cuttings. But I bought 6 quite cheaply as plug plants so hoping to do the same again.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Fingers crossed for Wonky's Wendy's Wish (bit of a tongue twister).  I'd not seen it in flower until fairly recently, or I'd have snagged some cuttings.  I aim to get some next year - Wonky, be warned - Dove's coming to your garden in the summer with a sharp knife and a poly bag image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,259

Thanks Verdun. Mine was about 6', but planted in the wrong place as I hadn't realised how tall it would get.

Dordogne and Norfolk