a funny little corner

Hi all, here's an interesting little issue.  Bordering my garden is a lane which is owned and maintained by the local authority.  My garden wall and house wall meet at an angle, which means that there is a small triangle shaped piece of land running alongside the lane - I think it probably belongs to the LA (and I can't tell from the deeds for my property).  Anyhoo, the lane is tarmacked, and the plants/trees along the sides are cut back by machine about once a year.  The machine is not flexible enough to bother the little triangle in question.  The problem is that some local (we shall call them) gentlemen use the lane to journey from the pub to their homes, and when they feel the call of nature, they take advantage of this sheltered little spot. As a result, there is rather a bad smell drifting over my garden wall, especially during the summer months, and I do feel a little cross about it.  Bearing in mind that it would be just too weird to sit out and catch any offenders, do you think it would be reasonable to plant something relatively mature and extremely thorny in the corner where my garden and house walls meet the triangle?  I was thinking a blackthorn as it would be ok with the shaded aspect and the soil is always very damp there regardless of whether anyone has 'been'! Anyone have any other suggestions?  I'm not very well off at the moment, either, so it would need to be a reasonably cheap option. Ta!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

It would do the job if you can't find anything with longer thorns. The downside is that it suckers.

Berberis might be another option. Or pyracantha

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,630

Holly is also good and prickly and good for little birds to nest in.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks, I'll look up berberis and pyracantha and see what could be good in this spot. There is a beautiful huge holly tree just opposite the patch, so it would be nice and symmetrical fidgetbones! 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Not all hollies have sharp spines though (and they get fewer higher up the plant) so make sure you get a prickly one!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,299

Nettles?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Ouch!  image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

No good in winter but you could mix them in with the shrub you chooseimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,550

You could plant or sow a few Eryngium giganteum - it's not for nothing that they're called Miss Wilmott's Ghost - if the prickles don't keep them away from the area, the pale ghostly figures dancing in the breeze should put the wind up the gents once they're well 'tanked up'.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,950
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

the pale ghostly figures dancing in the breeze should put the wind up the gents once they're well 'tanked up'.  image

I think the 'wind up their gents' is the least of their problems Dove...image image

I'd go for Pyracantha or Berberis too. Marvellous! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring!