Forum home Problem solving

Lichen looking plant

I have a large planterr with Heathers and a miniture rhododendron.

I have patches of this dotted around the soil.

Any ideas

?

My evergreen rhododendron is also in a bad way. To me (very inexperienced) It looks to be dying.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Neil

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,241

The first picture is of liverwort - you'll find info and suggested courses of acction here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=412 .

You're right, the rhodo does look to be in a bad way indeed.  How long has it been there?  Can you give us any more information about it? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ne1lNe1l Posts: 28

Hi again

Thanks, that looks the one. The container was planted a couple of months ago. I may have been over watering it. Its the size of a bath tub and has the rhododendron, 3 small heather and an azalea. The rhodo floured a month ago and new greenery was appearing, now it looks prerry bad image

Have you been watering it with tap water?  image

Rhododendrons need ericaceous compost and rain water as the lime in most garden soil/compost and most tap water will kill them.  How's the azalea - they usually like the same conditions. 

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=529

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Live in Scotland so its had a fair amount of rain water. However, I have also been using tap water. image

The azalea looks not bad.

Thanks again

Azalea looks as if it's going brown too image  is it in ericaceous compost?

Yes, it's the same compost. How can I stop thiIs catolgue of disaster.

On closer inspection the browning on the azalea was old flowers