Ilex crenata

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

I'm considering planting a small hedge about 8 - 10ft long by about I metre tall to screen the more utilitarian area of the garden.  I was wondering about Ilex crenata - allowing it to grow to about 1metre tall and then clipping it in a sort of free-form topiarised hedge. 

Any idea how many years it would take to get from 25cm to 1metre tall?

Does anyone know any good varieties?

And would a male variety of Ilex crenata pollinate a nearby female Ilex aquifolium?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Quite slow growing shrubs, so a few years. We have a couple of varieties of I crenata, but not sure of the names now. They have been in for at least 15 years and are about 12 feet tall (never been pruned)

And no they would not pollinate any Holly other than another I crenata.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Hmm, thanks folks - lots to consider here - thank goodness there's lots to do in that area before we get around to planting.

The holly pollination query was because I'm considering a holly to give some height in the corner where we've lost the ash - however there are lots of other hollies around, including lots of wild English holly in the nearby woods - neighbours with holly in their gardens seem to get plenty of berries so it was just my curiosity rather than a burning need for a pollinator.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh