Forum home Plants

Bare root agapanthus

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Apologies if this is a stupid question ...

I have 6 bare root agapanthus which I'd like to plant in containers. I've run out of mpc and wondered if it would harm them if I potted them in ericaceous compost instead? image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,308

They prefer slightly acid to neutral (pH 5 to 7) but are not fussy although I wouldn't risk planting in pure ericaceous which will be about pH 4 to 4.5.  The issue with acid soil is that it prevents the take up of certain nutrients.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Thanks Bob, perhaps a trip to the GC tomorrow then image

• ShaelShael Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a beginner gardener and have just received my first subscription magazine from Gardeners' World.  I bought the November issue in store, and ordered the agapanthus on offer.  The bare-root plants have now arrived, and I too want to plant them in containers.  Lena (from the post above) - could you tell me what size containers you have planted your agapanthus in?  I am thinking of one container for the three purple ones, and one container for the three white ones.  Or should I pot them up separately?  Also, what compost or soil specifically should I buy?  I don't even understand the terms used above - mpc and ericaceous!  I need specifics here - I'm really a total newbie!  

• ShaelShael Posts: 2

That's very helpful, thanks!  And I'm glad you told me they won't flower for 2 or 3 years - I didn't realise that, and would definitely have thought I'd done something wrong!