Forum home Plants

Suitable for a grave

My siblings and I would like to plant our parents grave, they were both keen gardeners and particularly liked blues, pinks and purples. Unfortunately none of us live very close so maintenance needs to be minimal. The site is in the southeast, full sun and clay soil. One idea we've had is geranium 'Rozanne' would this suit? Any other suggestions?

• B3B3 Posts: 11,529

I'm not sure what actual plants to recommend but I think you should try to pick plants that are slug and drought resistant

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,393

What a nice idea FL3.

Geranium Rozanne is a very good 'doer' but I find it can get a bit untidy & straggly unless trimmed back a couple of times through the season - and it doesn't like very dry soil - so you would have to take this into consideration when deciding if it is the right plant for this site. You might find some of the smaller alpine type geraniums more easy to keep tidy - but you will need to add grit to the clay soil when planting.

Are there any restrictions on what you can plant? Would any small evergreens for year round form (box or a variegated plant perhaps?) be suitable? An underplanted rose would be lovely but may not be suitable if nobody is around to deadhead it.

I would certainly consider lots of low growing bulbs because they require no maintenance at all - autumn & spring cyclamen, snow drops, hyacinths, autumn crocus etc. Pulmonaria & hellebores might also be worth considering. 

I'm sure somebody else will be along soon with some more ideas image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 345

Hi Flowerlover, I'm thinking that a rosemary might be worth considering?  Of course, you will need to mix in some grit but it's hardy, evergreen, drought tolerant, not eaten by slugs/snails, flowers, has a wonderful perfume and it's long lasting.  Moreover, depending on the variety, it can grow in to a beautiful shrub as a single specimen or you can have several of the more compact kind.

Lavender also springs to mind.

• mushermusher Posts: 389
    I know my suggestion wouldn't be allowed. But i'll tell you any way. One of my best mates lies with her head resting under the branches of a white weeping japanese cherry tree thats her head stone. No its not my ex lol. my dear friend Rosie a black labrador retriever. Sorry all for blubbering. Flower lover i just needed to get that off my chest
  • Ah Musher, sorry for your loss of Rosie, her grave  sounds beautiful.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

There's rosemary - that's for remembrance.

• Thank you all, you've given me a lot to think about.