Forum home Problem solving

weed whos name evades me

this little fellow has started springing up in my garden all over the pplace, a weed no doubt but can anyone shed any light on its identity. quite pretty i thought so may just leave it be.cheers.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

dead nettle i think

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,267

Definetely dead nettle [ lamium ] Some would say weed some flower. If you like it keep it, although can spread a bit!

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • ReedReed Posts: 42

Thanks for the answers. Just did a quick google and I all the the dead nettles seem to have a different structure with the flowers forming at leaf joints or just above the leaves as in the picture above. This one is more like a flower spike forming above all the leaves kind of like a salvia??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,366

Stachys sylvatica - Hedge Woundwort/Wood Woundwort 

http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/stachys_sylvatica_hedge_woundwort.htm 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ReedReed Posts: 42

Thats the one Dovefromabove. thanks for everyones answers. much appreciated.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

I have this in my garden. It comes out from the ancient hedge line(mainly hawthorn),on long  underground runners like a white dead nettle. It is perennial. I just keep yanking it out when its finished flowering. The insects like it a lot.

The purple dead nettle is an annual.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • jean6jean6 Posts: 157

which one was it on this family that as kids we picked flowers to suck out the sweetness..image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

Honeysuckle?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,443

I have a garden variety of this which is very pretty, flowers in June, Stachys Grandiflora.

Dordogne and Norfolk