What is this bee attracting plant?

This bush is over 5 ft high and nearly as wide. It attracts bees by the hundreds (a good thing). I have a friend who wants bees in his garden but don't know the name of this. Can anyone help please?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,123

It's a ceanothus, but can't tell you which one.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Ceanothus , its a lovely colour. I have 2 of these, so beautiful

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Also known as creeping blue blossom 'Ceanothus Repens'

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,123

Repens is the spreading low growing one, this is over 5 foot so is probably a taller variety.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

ah yes so it is :P

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,346

Lovely plant, I had one here once but too exposed so it died. It's obviously happy where it isimage

• PanoplyPanoply Posts: 74

We had one of these, pruned it back and it died (though it's left a lovely sculptural trunk), but thankfully we had taken cuttings and have started another in a different spot where it is enjoying its second or third year. Whilst doing some research I read that it doesn't take kindly to pruning, and as such tends to be rather short lived. Those that go on for longer tend to be the huge bushes that cover walls and fences.  

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...a gorgeous powder blue... if I had to guess I'd say it's the variety 'Skylark' which is in flower right now... and grows as big as that...

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 549

I've got Blue Kiwi flowers in my garden and bees are never away from them even the wife has commented on them on the flowers.