Raised bed / planters made of wood crates - what to line with

I have some really nice crates i am going to make raised beds / large planters. The planks have gaps though, so i need to either add more wood (but they look nice as they are) or line them with something.

I have some weed suppressant fabric, but this will allow any water to seep out, so i am thinking thick black plastic? I know that will degrade in the sun though, so not sure.  Any ideas?,

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Most of the water will be absorbed in and adsorbed on the soil particles, so it wouldn't leak out.  Unless the soil's saturated, in which case you want it to.  So I'd say weed suppressant fabric is ideal.  Assuming it's black it'd be virtually invisible too.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,969

I'd go with weed suppressant too. If the crates are a lightweight timber, they won't last long. You could double up the fabric which will make it more resilient. If the gaps are more than about an inch, I'd rethink it though.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• a1154a1154 Posts: 749

No, smaller than an inch and they are nice robust crates. Ill go with weed suppressant, thanks guys.  Why copper Edd? 

Now ive got these in position and ready for soil (which is a big undertaking in itself) im having second thoughts about what to put in them (doh!).

I originally wanted a cutting garden, as they will be close to my kitchen, and cover them in winter, but they look great and are quite a focal point, so wondering if some height would be better - small trees or bamboo or something? Help!  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,523

How big are they?

Height, width, depth etc and what sort of sun/shade does the spot where you're going to place them get?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi, its dark oot there, so im not going out, but im thinking just short of a metre, 85cm something like that.  Not quite square but nearly. 

Open, sunny, windy. 

Hmm i wonder if i can get copper staples for my hammer tacker then

Any ideas on what to put in them?  I generally race ahead with ideas without thinking it through. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,523

We still don't know how deep they are - how much depth of soil they'll hold.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

well im clearly rubbish at explaining.  By square i meant cube.  But actually i havent estimated very well either. They are 1m x 1.2m and depth is 70cm.