Forum home Problem solving

frost and soil

I have an allotment, which has been covered in weed membrane to kill old weeds, This has worked brilliantly and I'm now digging over plot. I know frost will break down clumps in soil but do I need the soil to be exposed, after digging, or will frost work through weed membrane if I cover it up again? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,141

I would leave it open to the elements image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,141

Apart from anything else, let the birds furtle around and get at any slugs etc that you may have - putting a membrane over the top just give the slugs protection to carry on breeding through the winter - you don't want that to happen image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,727

Fully agree.  Unless we have a prolonged period below freezing, frost only penetrates a few milimeters into soil and probably won't affect soil under membrane at all.  When exposed frozen clumps of soil thaw, the thin layer affected by frost will crumble and be washed off by the next rain, exposing a new layer to be broken down by the next frost.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Many thanks for the advice, will uncover this weekend