Falstaff climbing rose

Hi all. I planted a climbing rose in April and it has literally done nothing. Can anyone tell me if there's any hope or should I give up? Thanks

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,858

Mine took a year or too to get going. But the flowers are lovely when it does. David Austin roses, I find, need a bit more feeding and watering than others.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    Thanks busy-lizzie. I now have a glimmer of hope it's almost like it wants to do something but just can't quite manage it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,541

It's doing it all underground - developing a good root structure to support a lot of growth above - first things first image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That's what I was hoping dove. So much to learn at this gardening malarkey ????
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,132

Mine took 2 years to get going, was hit bya  hard winter and is now recovering and has done well this year.  As Busy says, DA roses need a lot of feeding and watering to get underway but then they are glorious.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I shall sit tight then. I have a pat Austin that I planted in October 2014 and that was beautiful this year even trying to flower again now.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

David Austin's roses take two to three years to fully establish in my experience, but once they get going look out they are wonderful. A shortcut is to buy the potted ones they do get going quicker.

• I have lots of D Austin roses in ground and in pots.  Falstaff is a really good one but be patient and feed well.