SNOW IN SUMMER

granmagranma Posts: 1,600

For the last 2 years I have on my rockery "snow in summer"  I dont know it by any other name, It has been lovely this year but now almost finished its looking untidy ,

What I am asking is : Can I trim it off and so long as I leave  about 2 inch from the ground , will it come again next year ? or should I leave well alone?

• XX Posts: 707

Hi Lucky3, the plant you are talking about is Cerastium tomentosum and it will survive a haircut image

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

Yup. I also think it would survive a nuclear attack.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I agree with figrat - you can't kill this one!  Cut it back as hard as you like, it enjoys it and will put on lots of lovely fresh growth for you - might even get more flowers this summer.  Enjoy!

Haha, not a fan then Verdun!

I agree with you, I've pulled loads of it out from customers 'rockeries' where it has gone mad.  I wouldn't have it my garden.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,831

Terrible plant. It took me over 10 years in our previous garden to finally get rid of the last bit.........................then we moved!

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,346

How tastes differ.....................I have this here and really like itimage

The garden was landscaped last year and a couple of small clumps were planted and I like the fact that it's hardy,needs no maintenance, gives plenty of flowers, acts as ground cover and looks lovely hanging over the walls.

If ever I thought it was taking over I would just pull clumps of it up

• My neighbour grows it in his front garden, it does get everywhere...I like it but I am always cutting it back through the fence.  I don't need to grow it myself, it can be useful when it spills over onto my garden to hide gaps, etc...  I agree with the other posters, just pull it up or cut it back, you won't kill it.....