Flowering cordyline

In my garden I have a flowering cordyline and was wondering if anyone could give me any info in it? It's the first time I've seen it. 

• XX Posts: 707

Hi Ritchie, nothing unusual its what they do when happy image .  I've not got one myself but have heard that you should leave the flowering spike on after it has finished - dont deadhead it.  Apparently dead heading stops the plant from flowering next year - not sure how true that is maybe someone on here will know a bit more.

• Hi Paula , well it's funny you should say that because there was a dead spike on the plant when I moved into the house and I took it off thinking it would come again. It's been 5 years and this will be the first time I get to see it flower. up bid I leave it this year you think it will come again next year again? 

• XX Posts: 707

Apparently so Ritchie, leave it on and see what happens next year.  

• suepcsuepc Posts: 1

I've had a cordyline for many years — certainly 10.  Just this week, I've noticed that it's putting up its first ever flower spike — in October!

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 79

are you sure it's a Cordyline leaves looks more simiar to the Phormiums that I have. I can't rmember who told me that they don't often flower in this country but mine have flowered every year so far. Striking flower spike.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

My Phormium flowering in June. It has never produced in the Autumn. I always cut the spike down when the flowers drop.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

Lovely plant Richie- but yes - that is a phormium!

I had one of the standard green NZ flax in a previous garden and it often flowered- but in summer as KEF says.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

As mentioned Ritchie, you have a Phormium tenax and not a Cordyline. You can leave the flowers to set seed and cut off the stalk when you feel like it. It produces lots of black glossy seeds that you can germinate. Take a good few years to bulk up, at first it looks like grass.

• norms185norms185 Posts: 1

Hi all, just joined, this is a pic of one

in my garden, she has just flowered 

for the first time since planting over 

4 years ago, we came home from a

week in Spain to be met with this..

i honestly had a tear in my eye 

• That's quite a sight Norms - does the flower have a heavy scent - we have similar plants growing in almost every other garden on Guernsey with very strong scent.  In fact most of them are very tall plants - tree like.

• w.wadew.wade Posts: 1

imageTen years old and twelve feet tall,first flowering. 

• That's a very healthy looking cordyline w.w. I find the scent is too strong for me - I sneeze almost every time I walk past one of these, but they do look very tropical don't they. They love sunshine, and usually flower here in May/June.