Ornamental grasses

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

I posted before about ornamental  grasses but not too many responses then.  Some new guys now so does anyone share my passion for ornamental grasses?  I grow several of them ....many begun to flower  or soon to flower and, for me, it changes the whole garden.  Deschampsias, Calamagrostis, early pennisetums now showing their plumage and miscanthus varieties to come.  stipas now and until Autumn.  Hordeum jubatum floweriing g in a kaleidoscope of subtle colours.  Movement not provided by anything else.  Supporters or not?

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 879

do you have stip barbata verdun i love the way the floer spikes curl 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,839

We had http://www.perennials.com/plants/carex-buchananii.html in our last garden - a lovely plant, gorgeous bronze and reddish shades, beautiful curling ends to the leaves - self-seeded like mad but easy to weed out. 

Am considering Stipa gigantea for the new bed in the front garden - I'm thinking that if it's tall enough it would look beautiful outside our west facing sitting room window,with the setting sun shining through it image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • XX Posts: 707

Hi Verdun, I've got a huge Stipa gigantea at the back of my garden and its gorgeous when the sun sets behind it.  Have Stipa tenuissima dotted around but my favourite by a mile is Hordeum jubatum, love love love it, it moves so well and is pretty when it flowers.  I save the seeds and replant it regularly.

• reb4reb4 Posts: 54

Hello, I have an enormous amount of bronze grass...it self seeds everywhere so I pick it out of cracks in my paving and pot it up until it's bigger. I love it. I am hoping to get some 'Karl Foerster' grass. Actually I have a question; I would like to grow it as a screen and would like to know how much it would spread in its width?