Forum home Plants

Planting Irises

My French friend gave me several Iris bulbs (rhizomes?) when I was over there last month. I understand that they are usually planted in the Summer but wondered what to do with them now! I was given some 3 years ago, which I planted at my previous house. Being an ignoramus image I didn't know that they should be exposed and they were planted like regular bulbs. Miraculously, one did flower - after 3 years!  My front garden here is south facing, soil quite sandy and gets lots of sun, although it's been raining for the last week or more! I live in the South (Bournemouth area.) Any advice gratefully received. image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

If they're in pots, they can be planted at any time Lyn, as long as the ground's not waterlogged or frozen, although waterlogged ground won't suit them anyway! Leaving the rhizome exposed slightly is so that it can get baked in summer. They're not bulbs and aren't planted in the same way, as you've discovered.

If they're in decent pots just now and you don't want to plant them out, just keep them in the pots against a house wall or somewhere sheltered so that they don't get drowned over winter. Wet is what they don't like, but your sandy soil in sun will be ideal for them image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391

I'm unclear as to whether these are Bearded Iris which grow from rhizomes, or one of the other types which grow from bulbs. 

Perhaps this site will help clarify

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/mostpopularflowers/morepopularflowers/iris

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi  I think they are bearded - my friend's Irises are all very tall and the one of mine

that did grow was very striking. See photo.  They are not in pots - just loose in a bag as my friend, I think, had divided some of hers. They have the overlapping, sword type leaves, as described on the website DoveFA advised I look at. My front garden drains very well - it isn't waterlogged at present. In fact, it drains a bit too well in Summer - gets very dry.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,391

That looks like a bearded iris - the rhizomes should be planted immediately into free-draining gritty soil.  Lay them horizontally in the soil with the top surface exposed.  They should really have been planted as soon as possible as they don't really go into dormancy as a bulb does.

Best of luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

Hope they've not got too dried out Lyn. I'd assumed they were in pots of some kind. They should survive for you as long as they're reasonably plump and haven't shrivelled up. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• No, Fairygirl, they weren't in pots. My friend has an enormous garden and has loads of Irises about the place. She just put some in a bag, which is in my shed at present. They don't appear shrivelled - one or two have leaf shoots forming. I will plant them asap. Thanks folks.