Forum home Fruit & veg

Kohl rabi

I have recently become the possessor of a kohl rabi, about the size of a tennis ball.  What do I do with it?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    You can grate it and eat it raw with saladimage
  • You could either cook it or play with itimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Well, I was thinking of doing some roast veg for when OH comes in late tonight.  That poss?

We had a little of it in our salad at lunchtime.  Don't eat the peel image

Probably not bouncy enough.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,223

Kohlrabi and Potato gratin.

Equal quantities of potato and kohlrabi, sliced thinly on a mandoline. A handful of strong, grated cheese. Some double cream, some milk, a chopped garlic clove, nutmeg salt and pepper.

Layer the kohlrabi, potato and cheese in a casserole.Mix the other things in a bowl and pour over. Bake for about an hour at 190°C, covering with foil if necessary.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

That sounds pretty yummy.  Shame she's off spuds (don't ask me why) and I'm off cream.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,223

I suppose you could make it without potato. You'd need another kohlrabi really unless you eat very very small meals.

And I have found that Oatly's cream, made from oats, is a pretty good substitute, if you can buy it where you are.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,500

I just peel it and grate it and serve either "remoulade" with a mustardy mayonnaise dressing or else mix it with grated apples and carrots and serve it like a cole slaw.   Very refreshing. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hmmmm.

I suspect it's going to end up roasted.  Thanks anyway. image

Yes - I was surprised how small it was - I'd thought kohl rabi was like celeriac.   I just mentioned that, since we have salad for lunch (yes, even in this weather) maybe we shoud have some chopped white cabbage in it as a bit of a change.  That's clearly not a common occurence in this part of the world.

• Kohl rabi surprisingly nice in salads it has a slightly nutty flavour, I've never tried it cooked.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,500

I don't think it lends itself to cooking.  Far too much juice content.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw