Forum home Plants

What's this then?

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Managed to clear out a bed of perennials and have a good tidy up and discovered this hiding beneath them. Can't remember seeing it flower, no idea what it is - any ideas anyone - friend or foe?

Thanks for any advice. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Looks foeish to me.  Slightly reminiscent of J*panese Kn*tweed image  but I don't think it is.

Isolate.  Wait for flowering.

Better still, wait for someone else who knows what he's talking about.image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550

Himalayan balsam? 

(I don't know what I'm talking about.)image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,161

Doesn't look like either balsam or JKW to me. 

One for Nutcutlet I think.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • looks very much like a fuchsia to me .........but i am so often wrong!

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Just trying to be helpful, but I am also usually wrong - the leaves seem a bit thicker than that of my fuchias, more shrubby ???image Thanks for looking though all. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I think it may be a fuchsia as well but can't remember which one. I've got it in my garden but memory fails me.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,799

Here are a couple of close ups of a leaf, it's as long as my middle finger if that helps and quite hairy on the underside which you might not be able to make out from the pics.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

Do you think it's shrubby?

Does it smell of anything?

Has it got a rosette of leaves at the bottom like a perennial?

I don't think it's any of the plants suggested so far

Hi Nut, 

Straggly shrub, no smell, array of different shoots not a rosette and no flowers that I have noticed anyway. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,073

I can't tell from the pics but, if the stem is square, it looks a lot like a weed I've found here for the last few years.  Produces small yellow flowers and self sows like mad.  Easy to pull up though.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw