Forum home Plants

What's this then?

Managed to clear out a bed of perennials and have a good tidy up and discovered this hiding beneath them. Can't remember seeing it flower, no idea what it is - any ideas anyone - friend or foe?

Thanks for any advice. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Looks foeish to me.  Slightly reminiscent of J*panese Kn*tweed image  but I don't think it is.

Isolate.  Wait for flowering.

Better still, wait for someone else who knows what he's talking about.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,573

Doesn't look like either balsam or JKW to me. 

One for Nutcutlet I think.

• looks very much like a fuchsia to me .........but i am so often wrong!

• Just trying to be helpful, but I am also usually wrong - the leaves seem a bit thicker than that of my fuchias, more shrubby ???image Thanks for looking though all. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I think it may be a fuchsia as well but can't remember which one. I've got it in my garden but memory fails me.

• Here are a couple of close ups of a leaf, it's as long as my middle finger if that helps and quite hairy on the underside which you might not be able to make out from the pics.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415

Do you think it's shrubby?

Does it smell of anything?

Has it got a rosette of leaves at the bottom like a perennial?

I don't think it's any of the plants suggested so far

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi Nut, 

Straggly shrub, no smell, array of different shoots not a rosette and no flowers that I have noticed anyway. image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007

I can't tell from the pics but, if the stem is square, it looks a lot like a weed I've found here for the last few years.  Produces small yellow flowers and self sows like mad.  Easy to pull up though.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It aint Knotweed - although it does look a bit 'weedy.' Knotweed is quite distinctive (I saw a lot in France.) The leaves are a bit more heart shaped and alternate on the reddish tinged stem (not opposite each other.)