Forum home Tools and techniques

Raising and Lowering Heavy Hanging Baskets Safely

Can anyone recommend a gadget for raising and lowering heavy hanging baskets so that they can be maintained at a comfortable height?  They are currently hanging on sturdy metal brackets that are fixed robustly to a wall.   

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

The Gardman hi lo pulley seems to get good reviews. 

I comfess I just climb a ladder for deadheading.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I don't have them too high so I can take them down easilyimage
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Just have a rope tied to the top of the basket and running over the support.  Pulley unnecessary, in fact it's easier without, at least on the way down.  The crucial bit is to have the bottom end of the rope tied off when you lift the thing off its bracket!  Then when you untie it keep one turn around whatever you tied it to and friction will be your friend.

Getting it up (oo-er missus) is another matter, but it wont be so heavy then.

Oh, you just made me think of Hoffnung and The Bricklayer's Lament. Can't stop laughing just at the thought......image

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUJLO6lMhI

for those who have still to hear this gem, the story is a letter written by a bricklayer to his boss explaining why he can't come in to work.image

That was going through my mind as I wrote that and I wondered whether to mention it.  I actually prefer Sean Cannon's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBluLfdz_uU

...and of course if the brickie had taken a turn...

Ah. 

I didn't hear an acknowledgement of authorship but perhaps poor old Hoffnung's work was out of copyright by then.image

He's been doing it for a long time, as have others.  Sine he didn't use the same words, only the idea, I'm not sure whether copyright applies anyway.  Hoffnung died a lot less than 70 years ago, in fact I think he wrote the thing in the 50s.

Yes, poor soul. Died at 34. 

I used to be a maker of things and was very involved in artists' intellectual property.image

Two years younger than Mozart then.  Did you hear the R4 programme about  him a month or three ago?

I don't understand that law at all really.

We've come a long way from hanging baskets!

No, and yes we have.  Sorry Charlie.image