Forum home Tools and techniques

Leaf blower power problems

I have a petrol back pack leaf blower ( Garden Care) and it has started to drop in power almost until it sounds like it is going to stop.  This happens after about 10 minutes of use and then it doesn't recover.  I have changed the spark plug but it seems to have made no difference.  Please can you advise what I should try next?

• Harry, what make is it and how old? Does it just gradually slow down or is it lumpy? Does it go back to normal when you next start it up?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sounds like it might be a blockage in the fuel pipe.  That might mean taking it to bits, cleaning the insides thoroughly and filtering the fuel.  Small i-c engines of all kinds are very vulnerable to dirty fuel and garden ones are often refuelled in a dirty environmemt.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Morning all no probs with leaves here image they are disappearing across the field at 30 mph image no m/c required  Hope they're not heading your way Harryimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Gales here last night too.  Hate to think what it's like at home....

• Thanks all for useful suggestions. @joe_the_gardener....it does gradually slow down and then it is better when I restart the next day...it sounds like you have seen this before?

• I reckon the folks above who recommend looking at the fuel system are on the case, especially going right through to the carb.

• Thanks all

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 308

It could also be that the tank vent is blocked by dirt so not allowing air in to replace the fuel used