Forum home The potting shed

stormy weather

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

Things must be going to be bad.

Chatsworth has announced that its Christmas market won't be on tomorrow because of the adverse weather conditions, though it is open today and will be on again on Monday.

Closing for the day must be costing them plenty and is not something that they have ever done before to my knowledge.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

I think we're becoming a nation of weather 'wimps' Pansyface.

I looked at the forecasts to see where I could walk this weekend-even if it was just local. There was a yellow weather warning for East Renfrewshire today because there's to be heavy rain... image 

November in the west of Scotland...who'd have thought ? image image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

I put it all down to Elf N'Safety.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,212

Trouble is that people don't heed common sense rules about having adequate clothing for going out.  Have you seen what people wear just to out in the streets in wet weather let alone to go hiking on foot in hills and valleys with local extreme weather conditions a distinct possibility.   And how many people have emergency supplies in cars - chocolate, water and blankets for areas or times of the year where snow storms or heavy rains can block roads for hours if not days?

It costs a fortune to mount a rescue for some idiot that thinks it's OK to walk on Ben Nevis without appropriate gear and/or without checking the weather conditions and why should good people put themselves at risk to help eejits?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Pesky elves....image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

No such thing as bad weather - only inadequate clothing and preparation image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,489

My husband was in the boy scouts. As a result the motto "Be Prepared" is almost tattooed on his forehead. Our car has snow chains, blankets, shovel, torches and water in the boot year round. When we go to the supermarket we can hardly fit any shopping in.image

Steve - those people have never been on top of a Scottish hill. In summer!  image

• My car once broke down in reasonable weather within shouting distance of civilisation. It's just amazing how cold you can get and how fast. I'm with Pansyface's scout! Hi viz, big thick warm coat, dogs with leads, bottle of water, crunchie,fully charged phone.(for RAC/AA) purposes, tin box with easily accessible common sense.....!!!!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,548
    plant pauper wrote (see)

My car once broke down in reasonable weather within shouting distance of civilisation. It's just amazing how cold you can get and how fast. I'm with Pansyface's scout! Hi viz, big thick warm coat, dogs with leads, bottle of water, crunchie,fully charged phone.(for RAC/AA) purposes, tin box with easily accessible common sense.....!!!!!!

And added to that a shovel, a pair of sensible boots and some 'Yaktrax'

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh