Forum home The potting shed

Sheffield leads and others follow

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,488

Sheffield has a long tradition of carol singing in pubs. It came about when the church authorities decided to issue their new book Hymns Ancient and Modern but in so doing threw out a lot of old favourites. They said that as they weren't in the new book they couldn't be sung in church. Yorkshiremen voted with their feet and took the old songs over the road to the pub and sang them there instead. And they still do. The result is that carols which have been forgotten in other parts of the country continue to be sung in and around Sheffield and a few other places such as Padstow and in parts of Kent. 

They continue from mid November until 1st January. Some are accompanied by a musical instrument, or several instruments, and some are a cappella. For a taste, here is one:

http.://sounds.bl.uk/World-and-traditional-music/Bob-and-Jacqueline-Patten-Collection/025M-C1033X0289XX-2800V0

They begin tonight in Ecclesfield.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,488

Not tonight. Ecclesfield is too far from where I live now. The evening ones generally finish at about 10.30 or 11 and then the journey home means that our carriage turns into a pumpkin.  We generally go to ones that are at lunchtime so that we still get home at a reasonable time.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I went to this once - at Dungworth (now there's a name!) -  and the atmosphere was fantastic!  Like a big sing at a folk festival but more so.   Tremendous.

I particulalrly like Sweet C*******s Bells which is one of the many, many versions of While Shepherds Watched... .

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,545

Always good to hear about Gods chosen city. Often used to like a good sing in the pub. but not usually carols.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?

I'm not a carol singer in the normal sense - can't stand those prissy teacher's pet type things.... And I definitely can't sing - I'd never be asked to join a choir. But the Sheffield carols sound more like a football crowd singing their favourite song. Volume is the common aim. Local accents and dialect prevail ("be true to your king while the battle is o'er" !) The carols are sung in parts but not as a choir would know them. The parts are essentially deep male, lighter male, deep female and lighter female and anyone can move from one part to another whenever they like.image

If anyone is in the Sheffield area from now to the New Year have a look at Village Carols' website for places you can visit - and join in. It's just good fun. No judgment whatsoever.image

You sound like my kind of singer Pansy!   I shall try to make a point of visiting this year.

Dungworth is very busy. I used to prefer Worrall's Blue Ball but the landlady retired last Christmas and the brewery has been advertising it for sale ever since. The website says that the carols are going ahead this year so I hope there will still still be a sing there. Wharncliffe is a nice one. 

Never really got on with the Derbyshire carols. Too many people seem to believe in what they are singing.image

Oh dear me!  That would never do!

I bought the book (from the Blue Ball I think) and tried to disseminate some of the carols locally at one point, but they don't travel.  You have to be there.  As I'm sure you know.

You have to be there.image