Forum home Problem solving

Compost

this year I've composted all my grass cuttings and now I've got the loveliest sweet smelling compost. If I put it on flower beds now rather than spring will it be as effective. Can't wait to get it on so hope I get a reply soon. Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,315

It can be a nuisance if not every weed seed has been killed off. I'd be a little wary unless you're sure there's nothing weedy in there image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you edd and fairy girl. You answered very quickly.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,070

if you spread it now, you could gather up leaves and more grass clippings ( or mow the leaves from the grass together is even better) and set them going over the winter.

Devon.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

And don't forget to add the universal activator!

• T5T5 Posts: 2

What is the difference between compost that you buy at a recycling centre & compost that you buy at a garden centre?

Can you plant directlyinto the stuff you get at a recycling centre - if not what should you do if you want to use it in large pots?

• Be careful with compost from a recycling centre. They just compost whatever comes in, and the source feedstock may well contain plant material that has been treated with insecticide/herbicide.

Compost from a garden centre is usually made to a specification, from a known source.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,070

T5, compost from the recycling centre is a soil conditioner ( like home made compost ) Compost from the garden centre is a growing medium.

Shame we use the word compost for them both.

Devon.

I've never understood that either.  Garden compost (a version of which comes from the council recycling centre) can be a component of potting compost but doesn't have the right composition/nutrient balance/drainage & water-holding qualities etc. required of a good growing medium by itself.

There are all sorts of recipes for making potting compost from various proportions of soil, loam, garden compost, leafmould, peat, sand, grit, gravel, perlite, vermiculite, and various fertilisers.  Unless you are a perfectionist and have room to store all the components it's easier to buy the potting compost.  And they're not always all they're cracked up to be either.

In a large pot I'd put stones and bits of broken pottery etc in the bottom for drainage and stability, then some garden soil and garden compost mixed, and fill the top half with bought potting compost.

• @Steve: re your point about council compost. They're not making a properly specified commercial product & they'll accept no liability for loss or damage resulting from its use.

Caveat emptor, as they say.

Indeed so.  I wonder whether you'd have a claim agaist the manufacturers though, if your commercially-produced potting compost made all your plants die?  Fit for purpose and all that.