Greenhouse size

Right then chums I need some advice. In January I am moving to a new build bungalow with a blank canvas garden to play with. Unfortunately it's quite bijou at 40'x30'. As I'm approaching a significant birthday, management has said she will buy me a new greenhouse. I'm looking at a nice Hartley botanic traditional plant house. Now the problem is what size do I go for 6'x8' or 8'x10'? The conundrum is that although we all know the old saying' if your going to have one, have a big one' but it as much about perspective as growing space. Any advice welcome. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

I'd go for the 8x10. Imagine the smaller one with a footpath down the middle - very squashed. Now imagine the same thing inside the larger one.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I'd say go for the biggest but I can see why you are querying.

Would it be possible to lash up a facsimile using bamboo sticks or whatever comes to hand ?  That way you may be able to get an idea whether the 8 x 10 may look too overpowering.

BTW, you are jolly lucky to have such nice managementimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

You are indeed.  I should capitalise on the offer and go for the biggest one possible. You'll always wish it was bigger!

• Thank you folks, bigger one it is then. Oh, yes management is very generous, but then again, I deserve it!! ????

• Of course you doimageimage

...and it'll be worth it.  Tell her she can have the first tomato image

• Decide how big it needs to be, then double it.

I used to work in a garden with a greenhouse about 30 x 15 feet.  I ran out of space.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

My polytunnels are 56x21 and 48 x 21 ( sorry for old school measurements but that's how they come image) and I often run out of space.

To quote Mr Titchmarsh " 2 things in the garden which can never be too big: your greenhouse and your compost bins"

Devon.

OK Hosta - you win.