Another Mystery Plant for identification.

Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

The attached picture is of a plant that has arrived in the garden and might be a weed but the bees love it.  Once again do any of you lovely folks know what it is.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,831

My eyesight is not what it was, but it could be Veronicastrum, or then again to could be something else.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

One of the linarias. I don't class it as a weed though I'm sure some do as it's so easy to grow and reproduces itself wellimage

• could be a purple toadflax.... more wild flower than weed x

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,273

I thought it looked like purple toadflax  -Linaria purpurea.

A bit of a misnomer as it can vary from purple to pink. The bees love it in my garden as well.

Sarah Raven is selling the variety Canon Went for  a special offer price of £9.76 each.

So you got yourself a bargain if it arrived on its own.

Just dead head it   when the flowers fade or cut it down to a foot, and next year it will bulk up to a nice clump

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Nearly a tenner for Cannon Went. image

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,831

That's the one I was trying to remember.  Nuisance of a plant.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,273

And thats a special offer!!

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Looked up purple toadflax in my wild flower book and the internet and I think that is what it is, so thanks to Rhoda and FB.  Thanks also to everyone else who helped.

• Oakley WitchOakley Witch Posts: 789

Its known as Bay Willow Herb up here. will selfseed loke mad. Can also be found in white. It is bonnie but will be everywhere if you dont remove the flower heads before they go to seed image

• Isn't toadflax different from rosebay willow herb, which i agree is a pain and reproduces from root things, that are a bugger to get rid off. I've been trying to eradicate an area with it, it even keeps coming out from under the patio...