Forum home Tools and techniques

Wind Brakes & Joy Larkcom

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,793

In her book she says

"Research has shown that sheltering vegetables from even light winds can increase their yields by up to 30%

My Allotment suffers a bit from a SW wind 

? Any thoughts or experiences please

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,253

I planted shrubs as a windbreak for our ornamental garden and attached a roll of split canes to the metal fencing on the veggie plot.  It certainly made a difference to what grew well but some of the shrubs suffered and needed protecting and the canes eventually broke or rotted.

Last year I attached proper windbreak fabric, 1;25m high along the entire north and northwest boundary and the difference was amazing.   As well as reducing wind flows it stopped frosts rolling down into my garden and veg plot which are just a bit lower than the big arable field behind.   Bumper crops of red and blackcurrants, purple gooseberries, blueberries and veggies this year.

My kale plants are standing tall and proud and cropping well.  Normally by this time they're leaning like Pisa no matter how well they were planted.  I might even try some garlic again.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw