Forum home Talkback

leaf mould

Good Morning,

I saved an article from a past Gardeners World magazine that expressed the virtue of leaf mould which also explained how to make this valuable soil improver. I followed the instructions to the letter and was rewarded with excellent results. However, the article suggested using Biotal as an accelerator, which I duly did and I like to think this easy to use product helped the process. I have been collecting leaves for some weeks now but have exhausted my supply of Biotal and have been unable to source further supplies, fearing the producer of the product is no longer in existence. Could you please help by advising where I can obtain Biotal or suggest a suitable alternative?

Hope you can help

Richard Sears

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,737

Don't know about Biotal, but here's a list of other accelorators which seem to have similar ingredients http://www.compostbinsuk.co.uk/compost_accelerator_activator.htm

I don't use a proprietory accelorator - I follow Bob Flowerdew's example and use recycled beer and cider kindly provided by my OH - I buy the beer and cider, he processes it and provides a pint or so occasionally.  Diluted in a bucket full of water it is a cheap and effective accelorator and produces very good compost and leafmould.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,328

I don't think leaf mould needs any accelerator. It is usually already mixed with some grass, when removing leaves from the lawn and that speeds the decomposition.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,471

Dove you make your OH sound like an alchofrolic imageimage

Mine does the same, no need to buy all the fancy stuff, nature takes care of everything, if you let it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for your comments. I guess I'll have to do a survey and find out if Real Ale is better than the bigger brands.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,935

Sounds good but failing that, time will do the job just as well. I pile the leaves in at the top and dig the leaf mould out at the bottom. I think it takes about two years but the rotting leaves shrink down to make room for the next lot so space isn't a problem.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Are there some disappeared comments here?   If you see what I mean.  I seem to remember discussing the advantages of recycled beer, cider etc. but they've gone,  Are the gardening thought police around?

That nice Mr Flowerdew wouldn't approve.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,500

Two similar threads I think.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,737
    Richard Sears wrote (see)

Thanks for your comments. I guess I'll have to do a survey and find out if Real Ale is better than the bigger brands.

My OH says that Real Ale is definitely better than the bigger brands, but that he doesn't want to discourage you from doing your own research if you feel so inclined image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's better in all sorts of ways, but there are so many breweries and so little time....

Ah yes, Fidget

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/quick-question-on-a-leaf-mold-pile/846296.html

What did you miss, Edd?  And what are you apologising for?  (I have a skin like a rhino so whatever it was I didn't notice!)