Forum home Plants

Shoots already!

I planted some Tulip bulbs in the past month in small pots. Is it normal that shoots are  coming through already.

Many thanks ( John )

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

Yes - they'll slow down when the weather cools down - they'll be fine.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

This has started to happen in the last few years.  I don't remember it happening ages ago.  (But then I don't remember much these days...)image

• I've still got dailies flowering and roses o and astrantias
  • Thank you.

The weather has not been too cold, so they have been left outside. I do not have a greenhouse do they need to be kept indoors i.e a garden shed Or do they need heat and light.

Thanks again .......John

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,511

Do you mean your tulips John, they should be outside.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Lyn, Yes the potted tulips are outside. I have others in the ground, obviously they will stay there. My main concern is that the potted Tulips might get frozen in their pots, and that I might lose them. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

No, the tulips will be just fine outside in the pots - that's where mine are - they need the cold weather image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    Steve 309 wrote (see)

This has started to happen in the last few years.  I don't remember it happening ages ago.  (But then I don't remember much these days...)image

thought that was just me Steve image

Mine are also outside, slightly sheltered from the worst of the rain which causes more problems than nay cold will give them. They'll be absolutely fine John, it's what they're designed to do.

Hope you get a good display  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you all very much for your swift and helpful replies.image

• KornoKorno Posts: 99

I also planted some tulip bulbs in a pot last month and they are shooting image