Hello

Just wanted to say hello, I've just joined.  We have recently brought some land about a two min walk from me which was going to be built on.  We have brought it in the hope we can turn it in to a wildlife garden. It used to be an orchid but all the tree were cut down except two. There are stumps every where ,some of which we will leave for the insects. Just wanted to say please don't get fed up with me. Will need lots of advice as I go along xx

• BiljeBilje Posts: 415
    Hello Amber, that sounds a wonderful idea and project. There are many helpful knowledgeable people on this forum, I'm sure you'll get good advice and help.

Welcome aboard
  • Awwww thank you I was a bit nervous about posting.  Ive been told there were hedgehogs on there but I've seen no sign. Could not have seen it all dug up and built on.  There are two piles of rubbish of old wood branches , grass etc that I'll leave till next yr just incase. Wonder if I should take a pic. I've just cut it all and it's all very bumpy and uneven . Going to leave a section of it just grass and plant bee loves get bulbs etc here and there . Let the grass grow and see what happens. Hope I'm not being boring x

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hello Amber and welcome to the madhouse!

I bet most of us would love to have a big chunk of land to play with - congratulations!  We won't get fed up - we love showing off our experience and helping those who haven't accumulated it yet.

I'm not an expert on wildlife gardens - someone who is will soon be here - but I'd certainly plant at least a few trees to replace those that were destroyed.  They're by far the best to promote wildlife, especially oaks, which can support up to 500 other species - although you'll have to wait about 300 years for it to mature.  A pond too, as big as you have the energy to dig.

Good luck- and keep us posted.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Welcome! Definitely take pics - great for memories and reminders of what you planted and have forgotten about. Great for us on here, we love pics image

I would also recommend a wildlife camera - I bought mine from Lidl a few months ago (it will come around again) and have caught hedgehogs on it which gave me great pleasure. It also caught a fox squeezing into the hedgehog feeding box and snaffling their food!!

Are you urban or rural?

• Hi Amber, I'm a newbie too, and already picked up some great advice even though I've been gardening for years. Your project sounds so exciting please share your pics as it develops and let us know what works. Got to have more trees for the birds to sit and watch its safe, also what about a hedge or two to protect and encourage wildlife in? this time of year great time to start a bare rooted hedge which is alot cheaper too. 

good luck image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

Hi Amber and welcome aboard image

What a wonderful project you've embarked on - as the others have said, we'd love to see some photos and feel as if we're joining you on your journey to protect and improve your very old wildlive haven.

I'll just mention that to post photos on here you start by clicking on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Awwwww everyone is sooooooo lovely   Thank you.  I put a small flower bed in when we first got it in Late Sep.  I brought reduced plants cos I like rescuing them and was so excited when a bubble bee landed on one.  There is a rough  area that had been pilled with old bits of brick and rubbish.  When I dug all that out it turned in to quite a large bed which I was amazed at. A friend of mine has put me a small stone wall round which he says small creatures can get through so I am now wondering if it would be a good area for a pond.  I'll get a pic today and see if I can work out how to get it on ha ha. I'd love more trees but the reason why the old owners cut them down was there is a horrible old man whose top  of the house over looks it and says they were blocking the light so not sure about putting more in.  They had been there long before he moved in.

The size of it 696m2 so hope I can help a few little creatures. I've only had a back yard up to now so worried I'll do it wrong.  I do have a passion for Hydrangers so not sure if any thing likes to live under them. Thank you again you are all lovely xx

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Not sure if hydrangeas are much use to native critters but a hedge all round the edge could be a v good idea.  Excellent for all sorts of things.  If you plant a mixture of hawthorn (mostly), holly, blackthorn, etc. at 2' intervals I'll come and lay it for you properly in three years.

If the bloke next door complains about it tell him where to get off.  If the trees were there before he moved in they were his problem, not the then owners'.  Still, no use going over that again.  The finished hedge will be 5 - 6' high (or lower if you want) in several years' time so that shouldn't present a problem anyway.

Maybe you could use the old bricks to brick up his wndows?

The pond would be best at the lowest point.  You may have to dig out a few stumps to accommodate it, but I'd leave all the rest.

Quite a big site (26m each way by my calculations) so plenty of room for everything.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Whoopee - Forever Amber.  i am a very long time established wildlife gardener - well before it became fashionable I was winning prizes for mine - a half acre urban garden.  On my study wall are certificates for Best Wildlife garden in Bristol from early 1990's.  My garden has been organic for the 51 years I have tended it so aim for that - no artificial fertilisers or herbicides or pesticides.  Right now sedums and asters should be in flower and there should be loads of berries so put rose bushes on your Xmas list and plant cotoneaster and pyracantha.  The birds will come soon.  I have had redwings and fieldfares come for the berries the native birds leave behind in cold winters.  Grow ivy over your old stumps - the variegated ones are so lovely.  Learn to take close-ups and you will be really keen to get out in your garden with your camera whatever the weather.  I know from experience what a lot of lovely wildlife adventures you are going to have.  Like my heron one.  I was tidying under an apple tree one May morning on all fours when I heard what i thought was a helicopter above my head I looked up straight into the eyes of a heron.  He had seen the movement through the apple blossom and thought it might be a frog.  The sound was his wings hovering.  Not many people get to be inches from a heron's eyes!  Enjoy your great adventure.