Forum home Plants

Fuschia cuttings

I pinched out some tips from a friend's Fuschias in France last month and planted them in some damp soil in a lidded plastic bakery container to bring home (with small hole cut in top) They seem to be doing ok (they look healthy) and some have white thread like roots forming. However, one or two seem to have roots on their stems where there are leaf junctions. Should I sever these and plant separately - thus making two plants from the original one? Presumably I need to wait until there is a reasonable root growth on the cuttings before planting in individual pots? They are on my kitchen window sill but I do have a brick shed I use for potting so they could go in there once potted up.  Also, should I leave my various containers of mature fuschias out during winter? (South coast)  I have inherited nearly all of them since moving in April. Sorry this question is rather lengthy! 

• BiljeBilje Posts: 695
    I'm not an expert by any means but I'd be wary of moving cuttings at this time of year. Does the box look like a small seed tray and most importantly does it have drainage holes. If the answer is yes I'd leave well alone and keep them somewhere bright but undercover until the spring, I definitely wouldn't try and increase the individual cuttings. If they are just sitting in the box not properly planted and with no drainage I think you'd have to risk potting them into individual small pots.

As for the maturer plants it will depend on whether they are hardy varieties or not...do you know?
  • Thanks for your reply. The box has no drainage holes and was just a temporary measure to transport the cuttings. Is it usual for Fuschias to produce roots on their stems? Presumably this is because the box is quite humid? I would pot them very carefully (the present soil level is very shallow.)

I think the container grown ones are hardy as they are long established and some are rather 'woody' with not many flowers. Garden is fairly sheltered.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I think if their soil is fairly loose you wouldn't do any harm by gently transplanting them, obviously taking care to avoid damaging the rootlets.  Don't split them up (but now you know how easy it is you can take more cuttings once the plants are established).  Water and drain well and put them somewhere well-lit (but not in direct sun) and frost-free, maybe a greenhouse if you have one, otherwise a bright windowsill.

By the spring you should have some nice little plants to pot on.

Yes - the humidity will have helped roots develop from the stem nodes.  But now you have them, excess humdity will promote fungal growth, hence the need for good drainage.

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

definitely pot on now, make sure you dont over water them, if kept above 5 degrees they will put on plenty of growth over winter.

• arneilarneil Northern Ireland Posts: 270

I have taken cuttings in the past by putting wee bits , that have broken off ,in water , is it too late to do that now ? I mean take cuttings to root in water ?

• I have rooted cuttings in water but I read somewhere that it's not ideal due to 'shock' when they are then transferred to soil/compost. I'm sure the folk on here will comment on this as they are far more experienced in planting matters than me!

• cornellycornelly Posts: 963

Roots form where the leaves are on the stems.

• I have some roots forming on some of my cuttings - in soil in a lidded plastic container with hole cut in lid. I will pot them up undividually asap.