Adder

I know snakes aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm always thrilled to see them and took this photo about 50 yards from my house. Also took a photo of a grass snake today. I'll put that on the grass snake forum.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915

that's beautiful Pam. I'd love to have those around

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,041

I'm glad I don't . Snakes freak me out, even if they're not poisonous like pythons.  Must be some primeval instinct.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • reb4reb4 Posts: 54

How marvellous, I love snakes. I'm also glad you don't see any fb, as pythons aren't poisonous and adders are (a bit) !! 

having spent a lot of time in Australia, where they have 13 of the top 20 most poisonous snakes in the world, I just assume all snakes are poisonous and keep clear.  I know Pythons are not poisonous, they just kill by strangling.!

English spiders ok. Australian spiders like funnel webs I keep a wide berth. funny thing is I've never been bitten by an ausstralian spider, but I did get bit by a british spider a few weeks ago.

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Aussie spiders are the PITS !  I heard that a giant redback hijacked a school bus, up in Qld the other day !

Peat , you've been drinking too much bundaberg.

Too true Blue. Can't bear the stuff ! Has the same effect as Newcastle Brown, up north. What one might say is an 'AQUIRED TASTE'

My wife and I are off to the sunny climes of VB beer, Alice, Brisbane, Cairns and Cooktown in November.  We missed the fires in Vic a few years back, but stayed in Marysville. Beautiful spot.

Hayle Towans ?  I used to see loads of adders out on Kenidjack and Cape Cornwall some years ago. There was a small lizard being held by the head by an adder, and as it tried to extricate itself, the adder was dragged along, and so a tug of war ensued for about an hour.  The bite of an adder is negligable, and the mouth is so small it can possibly only get you by the little finger, with serpents luck. The actual effect is seldom moe than the sting of a pissed off wasp. I dislike spiders because I was bitten by one last May, out near Zennor.  Much safer back here in Northumberland, tho' I do miss Kernow.