Forum home Wildlife gardening

First feeble attempt at roofing......

Like it Tetley.  image  That is brilliant image

Want to do the odd whacky things myself.......an old "scarecrow" used to sit among the gooseberries until it disintegrated.  Want to turn a tall dark green  taxus fastigiata into a a local yokel complete with hat, raincoat and spade.  prob stems from snowman making days....we don't get snow much down here! 

Have a sentimental old stone gnome and painted mushroom to raise a smile.  The gardens need such things to happytise them image

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,094

Looks great Tetley!

Not sure what size this is, but in the spring you could put a wire hanging basket on top (upside down) and mix some compost in with the straw, and poke some nasturtiums in (they'll grow anywhere) and then put the camouflage back.

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,178

Snap! We cut down an enormous cupressus tree about 7 years ago and it's covered in ivy now and looks very similar to yours.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944

Are you hoping to get that into the Oxford English Dictionary next year Verd? 'happytise' - I like it  image

You'll just need a photo of yourself for your topiary yew...image

Tetley - it looks great. A real 'des res for the robin' image Could you try a few fencing staples to hold the net on instead of the concrete? In case it falls on you - or robin! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Love the birdbath Tetley. That looks  tremendous image

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    Love this - great idea and it has inspired me to do something similar with a stump that I have at the bottom of the garden.    When you say 'resident robin' do you mean resident in the stump already or just resident in the garden?
  • Looking good Tetley. The camo looks a bit.....porous. How does the straw stay dry?

The idea of an upside down basket is brilliant. One of those solid plastic efforts with holes in it would do the trick.

Keep up the good work.

ps Is that gnome looking at that ladder???? Fat bloke! Watchim!! image

• Ah yes. The Pond AGM. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Of course it (Fairyland) exists GGrass....where do you think I live?...image image