Bananas baby bananas

Hi I have banana plants in my garden and last year I left a pod on with 20 baby bananas on and the stem died ...this year I have 3 pods each with about 20 bananas about and inch big or lightly bigger ... Do I chop off the pod and bananas to stop the stem dying..........

• Also have a mango about 8 inches tall and the leaves are going mouldy this happened last year and it died.    Is there anything I can do

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Where do you live, Majorhound?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Herefordshire

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Majorhound they won't come to anything so best to cut them off unless you can move the plants indoors
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,240

Neither are hardy in the UK (they are tropical fruits) so both need bringing indoors over winter.  I would also agree with cutting the fruiting stems off before they start to rot as they surely will.  Mangoes make reasonable houseplants for a few years but will get big (up to 100 feet in their native environment) although they usually die when a just a few feet tall.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you both cant bring them in as about 20 ft tall but usually over them 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,240

Wow, impressive bananas Majorhound!  Do you know which variety they are?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • No got them from b and q 18 yrs ago  lol 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    You can cut them back but don't know when and if there's some shoots from the bottom you can pot those onimage
  • I usually cover and cut before the 1st frost so will chop as well and might see if the bananas are big enough to try although I doubt it