Forum home Talkback

daughters new garden

archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

this is my daughters (alex) new house and garden . and ideas folks we .plan to regrass the top and deck the lower garden area.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I'd be desperate to cover all that fencing with climbers asap and stick a couple of hardy shrubs in

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

the fence has been painted the (grass) strimmed and limestone removed sara 4... you got in one .thats what she wants pots raised bed for a few veg  climbers om the fence. bar b que and clay oven . bins will be at the side of the house.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

Looks like some hard work is coming your daughters way but if it's a first garden, what a good size.

It's always nice to start with a blank canvas. Decking is very popular but needs maintaining and can get slimy and slippy in wet weather and we've had plenty of that recently. I suggest flagging the area near to the house. If budget allows go with decking, with a glass canopy over it. This means with table and chairs, the garden can be enjoyed come rain or shine, throughout the seasons and becomes an extra room.  

Is your daughter a keen gardener, have children, does she want a low maintenance garden, would she consider growing fruit and veg? A herb bed is a must for anyone who likes cooking.   

my daughter is keen to learn as is the son in law . but granpas doing most of the graft  at the moment  had  a week off . oh and we have cleared the front garden as well . thanks for your thoughts .

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,170

I did a makeover on my daughter's very narrow 2 1/2m wide garden a few years ago. It's grown a lot more now with bushier plants and roses on the arch.

My daughter's garden is very shady especially on the left. I removed all the grass and weeds, dug it, added compost and organic fertiliser and re-sowed the grass. I made a zig-zag path to make it wider - but your daughter's garden is wider. You don't state the aspect or type of soil, which would be good to know when planning.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,170

Here is the before pic. I had sent it but it's vanished!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,335

BL, as someone who has just moved from a tiny terraced yard that is a triumph!!!

Archie & Alex, how lovely to have family who will help with the hard work, and hopefully be able to enjoy sitting out there with everyone to enjoy it image

I second a roof of some sort - I love sitting out in a sheltered corner with a good book when it's raining - it's a sort of magic image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

the garage is be made in to  a rain  shelter . taking the side out and puting in two relcalimed pillers 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Archiepem good job done there. Just wondered is it a watering can job or hosepipe? Wanted to check daughter has an outside tap/ water butt. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,335

Archiepem - brilliant idea image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh