Impact of solar lights on wildlife ?

Are the impact of solar lights having an impact on night time wildlife? I've noticed that there are more of these lights popping up in neighbouring gardens which is now having an impact on the nocturnal wildlife into my garden, is anyone else concerned about the problems they may be causing for our wildlife ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848

We have three small (2"x2") LED wall-mounted lights which come on when motion is detected. The bats have worked out how to fly past and set them off,  thus attracting moths to the area. They then fly past again and pick the moths off.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,187

That shoots the theory down in flames pansyface! image

I can't see how it would have a significant  effect. After all, the street lights don't seem to make any difference. Animals will adapt - as pansyface as seen.  It would be interesting to see if there's a difference when houses are festooned with Chr***mas lights in a few weeks time. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,031

A house across the rise has a light which is set off by a motion sensor - we couldn't work out why it went on and off so much on some evenings ... until we realised the bats were using it to trap moths.

Our streetlights turn off at midnight and back on at 5am - pitch dark out there in the middle of the night unless the moon is up image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848

Bad news if you are a moth, I suppose.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • You can't extrapolate from seeing some species that aren't too bothered (e.g. Pipistrelles) to assume that all species are equally unaffected. Several species of bat (e.g. Lesser Horseshoe, which has declined a lot) are badly affected by light at night, although garden solar lighting is probably fairly minor compared to street lights, security lights etc. Lighting around/near a roost entrance could be pretty disruptive to some species.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,031

I'm sure it does affect some species more than others - now that our lights are out at night our robin goes to the main road to sing all night under the streetlights - he must be exhausted image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,187

I think Verdun's right - and  over time, nature generally adapts to it's surroundings. Every time a new shopping complex or housing estate is built, most of the creatures that were living there will move elsewhere. Also, developers have to plant trees etc in these areas, so you could argue that they're helping some species of wildlife, and lots of 'new house' owners will make gardens.  So it's not all bad. Swings and roundabouts....literally. image

We can't save the world, but we can save small parts of it.  It's only when humans start building on or digging up every tiny scrap of land that we'll need to worry. Hopefully I won't be around to see that. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for all the interesting feedback.

I think because I've always lived in a remote area with no street lights or security lights my evenings have always been in darkness but now I've recently moved into a small town we have street lights (which are turned off at 24.00)and some neighbours with security lights and multiple solar lights, so this is why I'd wondered what all the lighting had on the wildlife. I think I shall start to monitor my wildlife and see the local results I get.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,916

As an astronomer, I absolutely hate the things.  Artificial lighting at night not only affects wildlife but us too!  Please take a read of some of these links:

http://darksky.org/light-pollution/wildlife/

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/wildlife.html

http://darksky.org/light-pollution/human-health/

Our local streetlamps now also go off at midnight which is wonderful - I can, at last, see the stars again! image 

Most of the children I ask have NEVER seen the milky way which I find really sad!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.