Forum home Fruit & veg

The kaki tree

• WaysideWayside Posts: 729

Having issues with the forum.  So forgive starter post.

Is anyone growing or fruiting a persimmon?  Any pictures?

Thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,286

the article says pick in October and ripen on a sunny window sill! Where are we going to get one of those fromimage

i wouldn't describe them as custard like, I love them but they are very seasonal.

i don't think they would grow in many places in this country. Has anyone grown one on this site I wonder.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Verdun always seems to have sunshine Lyn. Maybe wouldn't mind shifting a few doughnuts off the windowsill to make way for one or two.image

• I have started some off from seed in pots. In second year and so far so good although they are in the polytunnel.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

I've got one on the second terrace. It's actually its third home. It started on the top terrace which backs onto a 40' high stone wall. I planted it too far back - too close to the wall - and it never saw sun. After about 6 months I moved it further forward. Sun, but it was going to face competition from a couple of figs.

Three months later I moved it down onto the second terrace where its only competition would be vegies. It's now about 3 years old.

You see a lot of them here. Often they're grown purely for decorative purposes, the fruit left on the trees throughout winter to provide colour in the garden. A friend here uses theirs as an outdoor Christmas tree, spotlighting it. It looks stunning.

I use the fruit for ice cream.

• WaysideWayside Posts: 729

@italophile, great, I love it.  What was your inspiration?  Food, decoration or both?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

It was actually all my wife's idea. She loved seeing them here in Winter, orange globes shining through the wintery mist and fog. They do look quite extraordinary. And she saw our friends' "Christmas tree" spotlit in the mist and fog. I was told to organise one. I did as I was told. She's an artist and has painted them several times.

I thought I'd try to find a culinary use - before the birds destroy them - and discovered they're the basis of a nice ice cream.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,286

Has anyone in the UK actually got fruits to ripen on one? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.